By Rachael Flatt, Olympic figure skater and Colorado Potatoes Spokeswoman
Summer time is upon us and you are sure to be busy running your little athlete to soccer practice, baseball practice, or maybe even the ice rink. Keeping your champion fueled up and ready to play is important for their mind, body and success. To give them a boost before practice, most nutritionists recommend a small, 100-calorie snack to jump start your child’s energy and get their mind in the game.
I’ve been skating for 16 years and know that when the time comes for practice, I need fuel to perform and train my best. At just more than 100 calories each, potatoes are the perfect portion and provide the nutrients I need to keep the energy coming. And, with more potassium than a banana and Vitamin B6, potatoes are an excellent way to keep your kiddo’s heart, mind and muscles in tip top shape.
A quick and healthy snack recipe is ‘Perfect Potatoes.’ Quick prep and kid approved, this tasty snack can be taken to-go and is perfect solution for the pre-practice snack:
· 3 large Colorado potatoes
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 tsp salt
· 1 tsp paprika
· 2 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1. Preheat grill to medium high.
2. Clean and halve each potato. Cut each half into 1-inch slices. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add potatoes and toss gently to coat.
3. Arrange the potato slices on a 20-inch square of double-thick aluminum foil (or use a foil bag, such as Reynolds Hot Bags Foil Bags). Fold the foil around the potatoes and seal tightly. Grill over medium heat for about 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Open packet to test; when fork-tender, remove from grill and serve immediately.